This process requires businesses to provide Companies House with an official address for their company; known as the company’s “Registered Office”. HMRC and Companies House use the company’s Registered Office to communicate with the company about its statutory filings and returns.
Officers of the company (directors, Persons with Significant Control (PSC), shareholders, auditors, or the Company Secretary) as well as partners of UK partnerships (including Limited Liability Partnerships) must also register an address with Companies House. Known as the officers’ “Service Address”, it will be used by Companies House and HMRC for commutating with the officers of the company.
Common misconceptions about Service Addresses
Both the company’s Registered Address and the officers’ Service Address must be a physical place that documents can be served to (i.e. not a PO Box). The addresses are held on an online public database that can be accessed by anyone worldwide without pre-registration.
While businesses tend to know that they can use an address other than their company’s operational address as the company’s Registered Office, some are unaware that in the UK they can use an address other than the officers’ private or residential addresses, as their officers’ Service Address.
Why would officers not want to use their private/residential/business address as their Service Address?
- It might be that your business is just starting out. You might be operating from home, or from a shared office facility, or you might be always on the move.
- You might have premises that are a perfect fit for your business (e.g. a warehouse, retail premises, or commercial building), but are not suitable for the receipt of important documents from HMRC or Companies House that could get easily get misplaced.
- You want to provide a professional image of you, your officers, and your business, at a prestigious location.
- You don’t want clients, customers, or agents visiting your officers’ private or home addresses (at least unannounced).
- It might be that your officer’s tenancy agreement doesn’t permit the use of their rental premises for this purpose.
- Your officers value their privacy. They don’t want their private or home address on the Companies House public register which can be accessed by anyone online. For example, your CEO wouldn’t want to be viewed in his/her back garden through Google Maps – true story!
Vistra offers comprehensive corporate administrative services and Company Secretarial support including Registered Office Address and Service Address.
If you want to find out more or need a Service Address for your UK entity, please get in touch.
Mark Craig - Associate Director, Company Secretarial
The contents of this article are intended for informational purposes only. The article should not be relied on as legal or other professional advice. Neither Vistra Group Holding S.A. nor any of its group companies, subsidiaries or affiliates accept responsibility for any loss occasioned by actions taken or refrained from as a result of reading or otherwise consuming this article. For details, read our Legal and Regulatory notice at: http://www.vistra.com/notices . Copyright © 2022 by Vistra Group Holdings SA. All Rights Reserved.
US beneficial ownership information reporting: A summary of FinCEN requirements
30 Nov 2022
The US Congress passed the Corporate Transparency Act in 2021 to create a beneficial ownership registry for US legal entities. The US Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or FinCEN, has recently issued final regulations on the…
Developing an ESG strategy: A checklist for getting started
22 Nov 2022
Granting stock options to expats: What employers can’t afford to overlook
16 Nov 2022
Smart contracts, securitisation and the changing role of the intermediary
09 Nov 2022
German labour law news: What multinational employers need to know about changes to Germany’s Verification Act and new rules on measuring working time
09 Nov 2022
Alan Brown steps down as Vistra Group CEO; Simon Webster to lead the next phase of growth for one of the world’s leading Fund and Corporate Service providers
03 Nov 2022