VCL Complaints Handling Procedure

Looking up through a tall building

We are committed to providing high quality legal advice and client care. We recognise that occasionally things can go wrong and you may wish to complain.  We treat complaints seriously and will work with you to try to reach a satisfactory conclusion.  If you are unhappy about any aspect of the service you have received or about the bill please contact Martyn Dumble on 0117 918 1205 or [email protected] by post to our office at First Floor, Templeback, 10 Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6FL.  We have a procedure in place which details how we handle complaints which we can send to you on request.  We have eight weeks to consider your complaint.  If we have not resolved it within this time you may complain to the Legal Ombudsman.

If you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint you can ask the Legal Ombudsman at Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ or 0300 555 0333, [email protected] or to consider the complaint.  You should be aware that not every client can pursue a complaint with the Legal Ombudsman so you will need to check this with them.  If you are an individual member of the public, a small business, charity, club or trust, you are able to pursue your complaint through the Legal Ombudsman and our Complaints Procedure does not affect your rights in any way.  Normally, you will need to bring a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of receiving a final written response from us about your complaint.

Alternatively, you may be able to submit your complaint to the Solicitors Regulation Authority provided your complaint does not centre on the service you received, but is instead pursuant to a behavioural concern. Details of how and when you can submit a complaint to the Solicitors Regulation Authority can be found on their website: 

There is a further right to challenge the level of charges in your bill.  If you consider that our charges are higher than they ought to be having regards to our contract, then please discuss this in the first instance with the person responsible for your work.  In the absence of agreement, you may make a formal complaint under our Complaints Procedure or you may apply for an assessment by the court under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974.