Cost Inflation Index for FY 2018-19 notified
Government of India has notified 280 as the cost inflation index for FY 2018-19.
Companies (Appointment and Qualification of Directors) 3rd Amendment Rules, 2018
Ministry of Corporate Affairs has amended Companies (Appointment and Qualification of Director’s) Rules 2014 to introduce new Form DIR 3 (Application for DIN) and Form DIR 6 (Intimation for change in the particulars of Directors).
Companies (Management and Administration) 2nd Amendment Rules, 2018
Ministry of Corporate Affairs has amended Companies Management and Administration Rule to provide, among others:
- Return for intimating change in shareholder position of promoters and top 10 shareholders has been deleted
- The requirement of advance filing a copy of the proposed special resolution with the registrar in accordance with first proviso of sub-section (1) of section 94 has been deleted
- In the rules providing for the procedure to be followed for conducting business through postal ballot, a proviso has been added to provide that any item of business required to be transacted by means of postal ballot, may be transacted at a general meeting by a company which is required to provide the facility to members to vote by electronic means under section 108, in the manner provided in that section listing out the items of business that shall be transacted only by means of voting through a postal ballot.
Companies (Significant Beneficial Owners) Rules, 2018
Ministry of Corporate Affairs has notified Companies (Significant Beneficial Owners) Rules, 2018 to provide, among others
- Definition of registered owner and significant beneficial owner
- Requirement and the Declaration to be filed by significant beneficial owner
- Requirement and the Return that the Company needs to file on receipt of declaration
- Register of significant beneficial owners
Effective date for certain provisions of Companies Amendment Act, 2017 notified
- Ministry of Corporate Affairs appoints 13th June, 2018 as the effective date on which certain section of Companies Amendment Act, 2017 will be effective. The important sections notified to be effective are:
- Investigation of Beneficial Ownership shares in certain cases replacing earlier section.
- The requirement for filing the return with Registrar in case of change in promoter’s stake has now been deleted.
- The Annual general meeting of an unlisted company can be held anywhere is India subject to receipt of confirmation of all the shareholders in advance.
RBI AND FEMA
Foreign Investment in India – Reporting in Single Master Form
With a view to consolidate various forms that are to be filed with RBI intimating foreign investment into India, Reserve Bank of India has now introduced a Single Master Form (SMF) that can be filed online. This form consolidates forms like FC-GPR, FC-TRS, Form LLP –I, Form LLP –II, Form CN (for convertible notes), Form DRR (for Depository receipts), Form ESOP ( for ESOPs issued to employee resident outside India) , Form DI (for downstream investment made), Form InVi (for investment vehicle), The notification contains two annexures, Annexure 1 contains foreign investment details made into the company till date and Annexure 2 to report any subsequent transaction. SMF now requires company to declare conversion ratio for convertible instruments, any escrow amounts or indemnity given for share purchase transactions. Interface to file Annexure 1 (Entity Master Form) will be available on RBI website www.rbi.org.in from June 28, 2018 to July 12, 2018. Indian entities not complying with this pre-requisite will not be able to receive foreign investment (including indirect foreign investment) and will be non-compliant with Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 and regulations made thereunder. Annexure 2 contains the SMF format. The final form for SMF, when hosted, will be available in the Master Direction-Reporting under FEMA, 1999. In the current format of SMF, Advance Remittance Form is not included. Similarly annual declaration of Foreign Assets and Liabilities is also not included.
Foreign Exchange Management (Transfer or Issue of Security by a Person Resident outside India) Regulations, 2017 – Notification of effective date for certain provisions.
Reserve Bank of India has notified that proviso (ii) to sub-regulation (1) of regulation 10 and proviso (ii) to sub-regulation (2) of regulation 10 of the Foreign Exchange Management (Transfer or Issue of Security by a person resident outside India) Regulations, 2017, shall come into force with effect from June 02, 2018. These provisions were originally included in the amendments made to the said Regulations in November 2017. These provisions relates to transfer of capital instruments in an Indian company to FPI, NRI and OCI.
External Commercial Borrowings (ECB s) – Monthly reporting through ECB 2 Return
RBI amended the format of ECB 2 return for reporting monthly External Commercial Borrowings. The amendment is to capture the details of the hedges for ECBs through a simplified format. Part E of the Return, accordingly, is modified so as to include only standard information on hedge d/unhedged ECB exposure (Annex ). Details of hedging in Part E.1 of the Return and foreign exchange earnings and expenditure in Part E.2 of the Return should be furnished in additive format. Revised monthly reporting format of ECB-2 Return would be applicable from month ending June 2018.
GOODS AND SERVICES TAX
Clarifications with regard to e way bill and services to SEZ in certain cases under GST
The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) vide Circular No. 47 & 48 2018 – has clarified on certain matters in view of representations received from stakeholders. Important clarifications covered are as follows.
E way bill is required to be generated where goods transit through another State while moving from one area in a State to another area in the same State
There is no requirement to generate an e-way bill, where goods move from a DTA unit to a SEZ unit or vice versa located in the same State if the same has been exempted under rule 138(14)(d) of the CGST Rules.
It is clarified that that services of short term accommodation, conferencing, banqueting etc., provided to a SEZ developer or a SEZ unit shall be treated as an inter-State supply.
It is clarified that subject to the provisions of section 17(5) of the CGST Act, if event management services, hotel, accommodation services, consumables etc. are received by a SEZ developer or a SEZ unit for authorized operations, as endorsed by the specified officer of the Zone, the benefit of zero rated supply shall be available in such cases to the supplier.
Publishing of rate of exchange for conversion of the foreign currency
The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) vide Notification No. 49 /2018 - Customs (N.T.) notified the rate of exchange for conversion of the foreign currency into Indian currency or vice versa for Export and Import of goods, with effect from 8th of June 2018.
What Tech and Other Startups Need to Know About International Expansion
30 July 2019
The global economy is evolving quickly, and tech and other startups are looking beyond traditional expansion targets like the UK and China. Popular targets now include relatively low cost, talent-rich countries.…
Vistra Launches BVI Economic Substance Classification Solutions
17 July 2019
Is Midshore the New Offshore?
16 July 2019
Vistra Named Tier I Firm in 2019 eprivateclient Top Trust Companies
15 July 2019
Tracking International Business Trips to Protect Your Organisation
09 July 2019
Expanding into the UK: Why Would You Need a Service Address?
05 July 2019